CT::SWaM Community

BOOKS:: organized by theme

Organized thematically::
Please browse::
And please avoid amazøn::
:

:::PERCEPTION:::

Sonic Warfare by Steve Goodman/Kode9.
From @borisklompus:: I don’t much like the actual writing, but the ideas amassed and bibliography make it very worthwhile. Great gateway.

Treatise on Musical Objects - An Essay across Disciplines
by Pierre Schaeffer (Author), Christine North (Translator), John Dack (Translator)

Sound Unseen: Acousmatic Sound in Theory and Practice
Brian Kane
:

:::AESTHETICS:::

Composing Electronic Music: A New Aesthetic
Curtis Roads
:

:::MUSICAL SYLES:::
:

:::SOUND AND ARCHITECTURE:::
:

:::ARTISTS/COMPOSERS:::
:

:::HISTORY:::

Kompositionen für hörbaren Raum / Compositions for Audible Space
Die frühe elektroakustische Musik und ihre Kontexte / The Early Electroacoustic Music and its Contexts

Martha Brech / Ralph Paland (Hg./eds.)
The book contributes to a more differentiated understanding of the term »spatial music«.

http://www.soundexchange.eu/
Sound Exchange - Experimental Music Cultures in Central and Eastern Europe
edited by Carsten Seifarth, Carsten Stabenow and Golo Föllmer, 400 pages
:

This one is hard to organize as I think it touches upon all of your delineations, but I guess if I had to pick one it’d be about perception as it focuses heavily on the affect of sound.

Sonic Warfare by Steve Goodman/Kode9. I don’t much like the actual writing, but the ideas amassed and bibliography make it very worthwhile. Great gateway.

1 Like

Noise: The Political Economy of Music by Jacques Attali

I’m not sure what category this would fall under, perhaps philosophy?

A brilliant investigation of music’s relationship to acts of production and exchange

Yes, let’s make a Philosophy headline…

Sonic Somatic: Performances of The Unsound Body // Christof Migone
Listening to Noise and Silence: Towards a Philosophy of Sound Art // Salome Voegelin
Immersive Sound: The Art and Science of Binaural and Multichannel Audio // Edited by Agnieszka and Paul Geluso

Perception-

Sonic Experience: A Guide to Everyday Sounds by Jean-Francois Augoyard and Henri Torgue

Sound and Architecture-

Site of Sound: of architecture and the ear Edited by Brandon LaBelle and Steve Roden
Site of Sound: of architecture and the ear, Vol. 2 Edited by Brandon LaBelle and Claudia Martinho